Thursday, November 4, 2010

Even Dozen with modifications

As I drifted off to sleep last night, I had visions of a way to modify Even Dozen. I know, I must be a sick puppy! I really love these literacy strategies, though. Here's my idea that I tried in class today (it worked very well as a wrap up activity for Ancient India):
1. After processing material, issue 3 post-it notes to each student.
2. Instruct each student to write one important detail or conclusion about the material that was read/processed on each note.
3. Then assign students to diverse groups of 4, and remind them to take their post-it notes with them.
4. Provide each group with a large sheet of paper, and ask the group to divide it into 12 segments.
5. Ask each student in the group to place his/her post-it notes on the segments.
6. Then ask groups to discuss the items and add details, if needed. If several students listed the same detail on a post-it note, the notes should be moved to one segment. This will allow space to add new ideas.
7. After all 12 segments are filled, ask the groups to prioritize the 12 important details.
8. Discuss findings and post large paper around the room.
9. One final optional step could include having each group or each student write a five sentence summary.

Okay, this is what my dreams involve. My little secret is out! Happy learning =)

No comments:

Post a Comment