Thursday, November 11, 2010

NCSS & CUFA Conference, Denver, CO 11.11.10

I arrived in Denver, the mile high city, t0 attend the NCSS conference (it's snowing and very cold). I was delighted to see the line up of presentations devoted to literacy and historical thinking skills. I'm seeing so many excellent ideas for our classrooms. One of the presentations addressed using blogging as a way to allow students to build their confidence with content. My presentation is scheduled for Friday, and my topic addresses teachers' experiences with historical thinking skills. This is turning into a hot topic for social studies educators. If you are not using resources from NCSS, you may want to visit the website and consider becoming a member of this professional organization. Check it out: www.socialstudies.org or for CUFA (College and University Faculty Assembly) www.ncsscufa.org. One of the main researchers who started researching historical thinking skills is Dr. Sam Wineburg, and he is one of the main speakers at NCSS this year. I had the great fortune of working with him a few years ago when I began my dissertation research. He has some wonderful ideas. You would probably enjoy reading his studies and books. Happy searching!

No comments:

Post a Comment