Sunday, November 7, 2010

Making Connections today and in the past - Pakistan

A recent article in the local newspaper addressed the problems associated with severe flooding in Pakistan. This article would be a great way to allow students to read about current issues and connect the issues back to Ancient India. Recall that the Ancient Indus Valley actually developed in what is now Pakistan, and flooding may have caused the downfall of this great civilization. What a cool way to connect the present day with the ancient world! You could use a T-Chart for a reading activity associated with the news article.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! That article directly relates to the geography of the SOL! We are actually having our 9 week benchmark test that covers India this week! Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to provide ideas! I was excited to see this article play right into my lesson. What made me even happier was the fact that I had a nice selection of literacy strategies to use with the article. I love it when the universe creates sparks for our lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion! I do current events every week with some of my classes and even though I teach Civics I try to bring all kinds of current events into my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Current events allow students to make connections. There are some great digital articles out right now about President Obama's visits to places in Asia. We happen to be studying this part of the world, and we can use the current events each day to connect the present to the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm off to Denver where I am presenting at the NCSS and CUFA (College and University Faculty Assembly) conference. Part of my presentation will address bringing research into practice. I am addressing historical thinking skills, making connections, and literacy.

    ReplyDelete